Monday, March 24, 2008

Bi Bi Buffy

So as I may have mentioned I love love love Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was saddened when it ended its tv run, but have been overjoyed at its return, in comic book form. I just finished reading "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 #12 Wolves at the Gate pt.1" (i'm sure that there are comic book types out there who will tell me I didn't name it right so I tried to just include everything...lol).
There were things I liked in this issue and things that I didn't so let me start with the good. First off, I really like Xander and Renee. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge HUGE Anya fan. I always hoped that Anya and Xander would end up together. That seems unlikely since, you know, Anya died and all, but still. I feel like they wrapped up their story on the show so I am happy to see my little Xander find some happiness, or at least the beginnings of happiness. Speaking of Xander, I love that they sent him to Dracula to find out info about the new vamps. Xander around him is hysterical.
Andrew is back!! I assume he's back to help with the whole Dawn-is-a-giant saga. He always brings delightful humor to the Scoobies. The bit of Willow flying him to the castle while he quoted Lois Lane had me rolling with laughter.
The Japanese vampire goth gang really got my attention. What's with the transmogrification abilities? Why did they take the scythe (the scythe scythe as Buffy said)? You know the one that Willow used to cast the spell to turn all of the potentials into actual slayers.
Now for the bad. I really didn't like the whole Buffy hooked up with a lady (Satsu, one of the new slayers). I get it, Buffy's had a run of bad luck with the men in her life (Angel, Spike, Parker, Riley) and its been awhile since she's had a wonderful night (her words). It was supposed to come off as a shock, but for some reason it seemed predictable to me. Although, on the flip side to that, its nice that seeing the main character having a bisexual experience was just merely predictable. There was a time when that would have been unheard of (be it in the comics or on tv). So maybe it wasn't so bad after all, I guess it was just the one storyline that didn't wow me the way so many other Buffy storylines do. Who knows maybe it will turn into a story that I really like? Stranger things have happened
Speaking of a storyline that I think I would really like, in "Buffy the Vampire Season 8 #9 No future for you part 4", they indicated that Faith and Giles (2 of my fav Buffy characters) will be working together away from the rest of the gang. I would love to see that story arc played out in the comic. I could even see that spinning off into its own comic or (hope beyond hope) a tv show. Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku are set to do a new show together anyway. Maybe they can make it happen for me.
Well I'm off to read the new issue of "Angel: After the Fall." Night Buffy fans...and the rest of you too.

1 comment:

Breenlantern said...

Just wanted to say I'm a huge Buffy and Angel fan as well. Have both complete series on DVD and I'm reading both current comic series (I'm a comic geek as well.) I agree about the Buffy lesbo moment...didn't ring true to me. Angel is a little over the top and I'm hoping we get more clarification on how they got to the status quo. Anyhoo, loved the Buffy Post. I miss the series horribly! (I got to see the "Once More With Feeling" traveling show in NYC before it closed.)