Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Where the Boys Are

I admit it....I love American Idol. I have watched it from the beginning. That first season I was away from home training for a new job for eight weeks in St.Louis. I was immersed in a very confusing bizarre love triangle (love that song btw). It was the height of my do i like boys or girls crisis. I was still convinced that I had to make a choice one way or the other. The three of us were inseparable and one of our favorite things to do was curl up on the couch and watch the Idol. The craziness of that time in my life has long since faded away, but I still love to curl up on the couch and watch the Idol.
This week's theme was the 70s. Tuesday night was the boys performances. Here is my ranking of performances from best to worst:
  1. David Archuleta - "Imagine" by John Lennon..... I really love this song and I thought he did a great job with it, even though he got a little theatrical with it in a couple of places. It was my favorite performance of the night. However, my favorite reality show performance of this song will always be Jordis Unga on Rock Star: INXS I'm not gonna lie, both versions made me a little emotional and I'm already imagining the duet in my head.
  2. David Hernandez - "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" by The Temptations...I don't like this guy that much. For some reason his eyes really creep me out. They say serial killer to me, but that's just my take on it. I also hate the hoodie/blazer combo adopted by the too hip and cool set. However, if you are gonna do it, wear an actual hoodie AND blazer, not the blazer w/ sewn in pseudo hoodie. Those problems aside, he was a hundred times better than the week before and had a really strong vocal this week.
  3. Chikezie Eze - "I Believe to My Soul" by Donny Hathaway...Another performer that I really don't like. If it were up to me he would have been gone the first week, but it wasn't up to me and he was back again. Admittedly he was also vastly improved over the previous week and was much more relatable this week.
  4. Jason Castro - "I Just Want to Be Your Everything" by the BeeGees...I like this guy. He seems nice and genuine. His performances have a sort of Jason Mraz vibe which I like.
  5. Danny Noriega - "Superstar" by Leon Russell....To me this kid looks like he could be Jessica Alba's kid brother and his performances border on drag queen-esque. That being said, I think he has a good voice and I love this song.
  6. Michael Johns - "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac...Oh Michael Johns. I think he is dreamy (yes, I said dreamy). He is beautiful, He is Australian (love the accent), and he's.. well did I mention that he is beautiful and Australian? This was not my favorite performance of his, but I like him so much I don't care. I would listen to him read/sing the phonebook and be happy.
  7. David Cook - "All Right Now" by Free...Reasons why I like David Cook. He's a Missouri boy too, his pre-performance interview (he's a word nerd), he has cute gear, he pulls off the rocker guy thing.
  8. Luke Menard - "Killer Queen" by Queen...He's very milquetoast to me. He's so pretty its not interesting. I thought this week's performance was better than the previous' weeks and he was able to pull off the theatrics needed for this song, but really? Trying to pull off Freddie Mercury? Everyone who can pull off performing a Queen song step forward...not so fast Luke
  9. Robbie Carrico - "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner....Ugh, boring. I don't by the rocker thing from him and I'm not that interested in his performances.
  10. Jason Yeager - "Long Train Running" by The Doobie Brothers....On the show, it lists him as being from Texas, but seeing his performances always reminded me of something. I grew up in Branson and he seemed very Branson show guy to me. So imagine my delight to discover that he does indeed currently reside in Branson. I am so ready for him to go back to Branson.
Idol Update - I started this post on Tuesday, but life got in the way, and I am just now finally getting to post it. Its Thursday night and the results are in....and I called it right. Robbie Carrico and Jason Yeager were both cut from the competition. The ladies are up in my next post and I have to say I didn't do nearly as well calling those results.

No comments: